Friday, November 20, 2015

AUTHOR SPOTLIGHT: Kent Davis

Kent Davis is the author of "A Riddle in Ruby

Interview Conducted by:
Michaela

1. When did you get inspired to write this book?

About three years ago. I read a story about a scientist from the 1600s called Francis Bacon. Besides the fact that his name was ‘Bacon’ (I LOVE BACON!), he had some cool ideas about science and that got my brain-wheels turning.

2. Where did you get the inspiration to write your book?

Well, there was Bacon (BACON!). Also, I had this weird picture pop into my brain: a girl with a tricorne hat, standing in a barrel with metal ostrich legs on it. I couldn’t get it out of my head, so I started trying to figure out what all of those elements meant, and how they could possibly fit together. A couple of years later, voila! A Riddle in Ruby!

3. What is your favorite book of all time? Favorite author?

I hope it’s okay if I pick two of each. The Three Musketeers, by Alexandre Dumas and The Golden Compass, by Philip Pullman. One wrote a long time ago, and one is still writing, but they both bring a wonderful combination of adventure, sass, and emotional truth to the table. 

Favorite author? Terry Pratchett. So funny. So true. So awesome.

4. What is your favorite book that you have written?

A Riddle in Ruby is my first novel! So, I’ll choose that.

5. What is your favorite movie?

Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I could recite the whole thing to you, if you like. Most of my friends don’t like it when I do that, so I get it if you don’t want me to. Also, Time Bandits. And Blade Runner. And all of the Merrie Melodies cartoons from, like, a thousand years ago, if you’ll let me count them as movies.

6. Who is your favorite character in A Riddle in Ruby?

I love them all, but I have to go with Cram. I have spent a lot of time as an actor playing characters who served others, and he’s got all the necessary attributes: courage, honesty, attention to detail, a sense of humor, and an unstoppable appetite!

7. Do you have a specific place where you like to write (i.e. coffee shop, office, park, etc.)?

I mostly write in my office. Here’s a picture of my desk! It’s currently filled with notes and edits for A Riddle in Ruby 2.

8. How long did it take you to write this book?

I worked on it for about three years from beginning to end.

9. How long have you been writing?
 
Well, my first, first book was one I wrote when I was seven. It was about a little gnome with a very big hat. It wasn’t published. I think it might have been too controversial for the time. :) In 2003, however, I started writing plays to be performed at a theater company in Bozeman, Montana. That was my first writing for other people. I kept on writing and performing plays, and then in 2007 I began a partnership with a scientist named Chris Organ to write a game called Epic RPG. It’s kind of like Dungeons & Dragons. 

10. How old were you when your first piece of writing was published?

Ancient. The first time I had one of my plays performed I was 33.

11. Can I read and review the sequel for you? I loved this book so much!

Of course! I’m so happy you liked it!

12. Any other interesting facts/info about you that you would like to share. 

I am secretly working on a canine-human collaborative novel with my dog, Bobo, but I will share the title with you. It is called War and Treats. Just kidding. Or, now that I think of it, maybe not.

Thanks for the wonderful questions! This was fun!

Kent Davis has spent most of his life making stories. He is an author, game designer, and actor. He lives with his wife Anna and a wily dog‐ninja named Bobo in Bozeman, Montana.
A Riddle in Ruby: Amazon Barnes & Noble Indiebound Powell's
Read an excerpt. Visit the author's site. Follow him on Twitter.
Thank you so much Mr. Davis for all your support! 

No comments:

Post a Comment